Former Lab Members
Masters Students – Alumni
- Danyu Yao PhD (Completed May 2019) Investigated the effect of phosphorylation status on intracellular distribution of sucrose synthase in Arabidopsis thaliana
- Michael Bilek MSc (Completed March 2019) Phytoremediation of contaminated industrial sites using Salix and Polar Currently working as Research Associate for Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) Boreal Research in Peace River, Alberta.
- Michelle von Loessl MSc (Completed April 2017) Identification of the genes(s) controlling the production of p-hydroxybenzoate monolignol transferases. Currently studying at the College of Education in Thurgau (Pädagogische Hochschule Thurgau), Kreuzlingen, Switzerland.
- Ahmed Kenawy MSc (Completed 2016 Dec) MSc – Worked on isolation, characterization and gene expression of Salicylic Acid Glycosyltransferase Genes in Hybrid Poplar. Currently an Assistant Researcher at the Nucleic Acids Research Department, Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology Research Institute (GEBRI), City of Scientific Research and Technological applications (SRTA city), Alexandria, Egypt.
- Sarah Barkwill MSc Transferred to MF (Master Forestry) Dec 2016 degree program. MSc research focused on determining the crosstalk between primary and secondary cellulose synthases at the interface between primary and secondary cell walls. Currently Silviculture surveyor at Montane Resource Management Inc.
- Sofiya Lazarova MSc (Completed 2015 Sept) Investigated the role of sucrose phosphate synthase and hexokinase in carbon sink strength. Currently Email & Social Media Marketing Specialist at BC Tech, Vancouver, Canada.
- Amanda Johnson MSc (Completed 2015 May) Investigated the impact of cell wall chemistry and ultrastructure on bioenergy production. Currently PhD Student in Dr. Scott Renneckar’s lab, UBC.
- Foster (James) Hart MSc (Completed 2013 Feb) Does heterosis impact cell wall traits in hybrid aspen? Worked as a Research Technician, Shawn Mansfield’s lab, UBC 2013 – Sept 2016. Currently working part time in the Mansfield Tree Molecular Biology Research Lab at UBC, Canada.
- Magdalena Glass (née Hrynkiewicz-Moczulski) MSc (Completed 2012 Aug) Investigating the role of endoglucanase on cell wall development and ultrastructure. Currently Project Manager, BC Cancer Genome Sciences Centre, Vancouver, Canada.
- Francis de Araujo MSc (Completed 2012 Nov) Wood Quality of Aspen and White Spruce in Boreal Mixedwood Forests.
- Tsung Jeng (Kent) Chen MSc (Completed 2012 Nov) Investigated the role of sucrose synthase in Arabidopsis and Poplar. Currently PhD Candidate at University of British Columbia – Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, Vancouver, Canada.
- Genoa Barchet MSc (Completed 2010 May) Effects of drought stress on metabolite profiles of hybrid and pure Populs spp.
- Nicholas Ukrainetz MSc (Sept 2003 – March 2006) – currently PhD Student in Dr. Mansfield’s lab, UBC
- Jackie Stewart MSc (Sept 2002 – April 2005) Currently Senior Instructor at UBC, Vancouver, Canada.
- Jennifer Cross MSc (Jan 2001- Jan 2002)
- Nicola Charles* MASc (Sept 2000 – Nov 2002)
- Ian Cullis MSc (Sept 2000-Dec 2002) Currently Director of Asset Management at BC Non-Profit Housing Association, Vancouver, Canada.
- Shannon Huntly MSC (Sept 2000 – Jan 2003)
- Kathy Woo MSc (Sept 2000 – Feb 2003)
- Derrick Stebbing* MSc (Sept 1999 – April 2002) Currently QC Manager at New β Innovation Ltd., Burnaby, Canada.
Doctoral Students – Alumni
- Miranda Meents* PhD (2012 Sept – 2018 Dec) Using high resolution microscopy to look at synthesis in the Golgi of xylan by glycosyltransfereases. Currently Postdoctoral Researcher in Kunst Lab, Department of Botany, UBC.
- Yoichiro Watanabe* PhD (Sept 2011 – May 2018) Identified and described the various factors that control cellulose deposition in the secondary cell wall. Currently Assistant Professor at Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma, Nara Prefecture, Japan.
- Letitia Da Ros PhD (2013 Jan – 2018 May) Evaluating genomic selection as a tool for improved wood properties and tree growth in gymnosperms. Currently Research Associate at National Research Council, Saskatchewan, Canada.
- Shumin Wang* PhD (Sept 2011 – May 2018) Studied the functions of new candidate genes affecting secondary wall chemistry. Currently Scientist at Anandia Labs, Vancouver, Canada.
- Ritesh Mewalal* PhD (Completed 2015 May) Functional characterization of cell wall related proteins of unknown function (CW-PUFs) in Arabidopsis thaliana. Currently Post-Doctoral Fellow, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon.
- Li Xi* PhD (Completed 2014 April) Investigating the role of Arabinogalactan proteins (AGP) on cell wall development in Populus
- Grant McNair* PhD (Completed 2015 Feb) Studied genes involved in the remodeling of the cell walls and their potential interactions that facilitate the process of xylem formation. Currently a Product Specialist at Aurora Biomed Inc., Vancouver. Completed a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Dr. Allison Kermode’s lab, Simon Fraser University, BC, Canada.
- Gabriel Levesque Tremblay* PhD (Completed 2014 April) Pectin methyl esterases and its prooteinaceous inhibitor in plan seed development. Completed a Post-doctoral Fellow in Dr. Markus Pauly’s laboratory at the Energy Bioscience Institute at UC Berkeley. Currently Manager, Technical Entities & Grants at AIChE – American Institute of Chemical Engineers, American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE), New York, USA.
- Eshchar Mizrachi* (Completed 2014 Jan) Functional genomics and systems genetics of cellulose biosynthesis in EucalyptusFaride Unda PhD (Completed 2012 Aug) Carbon Allocation in Hybrid Poplar: the role of the Raffinose Family of Oligosaccharides (RFO). Currently, a Senior Lecturer, Department of Genetics, and Research Project Manager, Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute (FABI), University of Pretoria, South Africa.
- Faride Unda PhD (Completed 2012 Aug) Currently working as Research Associate in Dr. Shawn Mansfield’s UBC Tree Molecular Biology Research Lab, UBC, Canada
- Lisa McDonnell PhD (Completed 2010 Dec) Investigating the Role of cellulose synthases in the Biosynthesis and Properties of Cellulose in Secondary Cell Walls. Currently Assistant Professor, Biological Sciences, University of California, San Diego, USA.
- Victoria Maloney PhD (Completed 2010 April) Function, functional conservation and interactions of the membrane-bound endo-1,4-beta-glucanases orthologous to Korrigan. Went on to do a PDF in Dr. Shawn Mansfield’s lab, UBC. Currently Postdoctoral Fellow in Dr. Myburg’s lab, University of Pretoria, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Andrew Robinson PhD (Sept 2002 – March 2009)
- Thomas Canam PhD (Sept 2002 – May 2008) Studied using plants for bioenergy and bioproduct applications. Currently an Assistant, Department of Biological Sciences, Eastern Illinois University, Illinois, USA.
- Heather D. Coleman (PhD Sept 2002 – May 2008) Genetic and environmental control of cell wall formation, xylogenesis, plant biotechnology, molecular farming, functional genomics. Currently an Associate Professor, Biology, Syracuse University, NY, USA.
- Jeff Keating PhD (Sept 2000 – June 2007)
- Kathryn Wingate* PhD (Sept 1998 – June 2002)
Former Visiting Scholars
- Yingli Ma PhD Visiting (2017 Sept – Oct 2018) The stimulatory effects and associated mechanism of lanthanum nitrate on the yield and medicinal composition of Pseudostellaria heterophylla
- Liyuan (Lynn) Chen PhD Candidate (Visiting Scholar) Family of fasciclin-like arabinogalactan proteins (FLAs) in Secondary Cell Wall synthesis (Sept 2015 – March 2018)
Former Postdoctoral Fellows
- Letitia Da Ros (May 2018 – Dec 2018) Currently working as a Scientist for Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
- Eliana Gonzales-Vigil (Completed 2018 Sept) Currently Assistant Professor at University of Toronto Scarborough, Canada.
- Alex Skyba (Completed 2015 June) Genomic of fungal degradation of woodybiomass. Currently a Science Educator, Vancouver, Canada.
- Melissa Roach (Completed 2014 July) Currently Ecology Lab Coordinator, Edmonton, Canada.
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. PDF – Regulation of cell wall traits via FLAproteins.
- Charles Hefer (Completed 2014 Aug) Investigated genetic variability of growth traits in several Poplar sp. populations. Currently Senior Research Scientist (Bioinformatician) at the ARC Biotechnology Platform, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Victoria Maloney (Completed 2013) Genomics of cell wall development of and regulation. Currently a Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Pretoria, South Africa
- Ji-Young Park (Completed 2012 Jan) Isolation and regulation of genes involved in carbohydrate allocation during cell wall biosynthesis
- Ravindra Malabadi (Completed 2009 Sept) Initiation of somatic embroygenesis in conifers. Currently a research scientist in India.
- Rebecca Dauwe (Completed 2009 Aug) Metabolic profiling of spruce, induced and constitutive conifer defense mechanisms. Currently a Biochemist, Amiens, France.
- So-Young Park (Completed 2009 July) Currently Associate Professor, Chungbuk National University,
Korea. PDF – Studied somatic embryogenesis and juvenility of mature conifers.
- Ilga Porth (Completed 2009 Feb) Elucidating secondary cell wall biosyntheses. Currently Faculty at Université Laval, Montreal, Canada.
- Kyu-Young Kang (Completed 2007 Aug) Currently Assistant Professor at Dongguk University-Seoul Campus. PDF – Wood and fibre quality and chemistry.
- Kim Rensing (Completed 2005 Jan) Metabolite profiling and genomic marker development for phenotyping Douglas-fir
- Rana Gheneim (Completed 2004 April) Synthesis and detection of metabolite intermediates in cell wall biosynthesis
- Jamie Robinson (Completed April 2004) Evaluating the effect of global DNA methylation on somatic embryogenesis
- Ursula Mais (Completed 2001 July) Improved hydrolysis of lignocellulosic substrates using simultaneous hydrolysis and physical disruption. Currently Manager Research – Baxter Innovations, Vienna, Austria. Currently Associate Director at Shire, Austria.
Former Research Scientists
- Foster (James) Hart MSc, Research Scientist (Feb 2013 – Sept. 2016)
Last updated: April 2020